Q. Is it advisable to fly with semicircular canal dehiscence and patulous eustachian tube dysfunction?

Dr. Vinay S Bhat
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 08, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 11, 2020

I have two inner ear conditions. Both are somewhat rare: Right-semicircular canal dehiscence and Left- patulous eustachian tube dysfunction. What I want to know is whether I can fly- take an airplane without getting ill and sustain further inner damage?

Dr. Vinay S Bhat

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

1. Super semicircular canal dehiscence is a rare inner ear condition. In this condition there will be giddiness and imbalance when exposed to loud noise and imbalance, echoing of once own voice, etc. This condition usually does not get worsened by change in environmental pressure. So air travel will not be an issue in this condition. In any case keep anti-vertigo medications such as Stemetil handy when you fly.

2. Patulous eustachian tube is a condition involving middle ear and nose. My guess is because of similarity in symptoms you have been given both the diagnosis. I can say that if there is vertigo then it is superior canal dehiscence if there is no vertigo chances of Patulous eustachian tube are high. In any case people with Patulous eustachian tube will have certain degree of pressure symptoms in ear when they fly but most of the times it will not be very severe. You can use simple saline nasal spray before boarding the flight and every two hours in air to reduce symptoms.

| 

What Causes Vertigo?

Article Overview: This article discusses vertigo, a sensation of spinning, dizziness, unsteadiness, and lightheadedness. Read Article

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Dizziness, unsteadiness, lightheadedness are symptoms expressed by the patient. But all these indicate that the patient is having a problem of balancing. Balancing is the outcome of a reflex mechanism where vestibule of ear, eyes and sensory receptors of joints and muscles send sensory impulses to t...  Read Article

I have reduced Hb level with giddiness, headache and delayed periods. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 25 years female. My HB level is reduced to 9 grams percent from 10 grams percent. I have a habit of eating raw rice and cardamom. I feel giddiness and headache and blackout of vision and my periods are delayed by one month and 20 days. And I am not pregnant.  Read Full »

What should I do for blocked ears?

Query: Hello doctor, I want some advice on my blocked ears. My ears are also paining since 7 days. Since last week, I have been suffering from cough and cold. As both the ears are blocked, I have been suffering a hearing problem too. I think wax is stuck inside my ears. I have been using an ear drops twic...  Read Full »