Can any medications reduce the excess salivary flow in my mother who is a Parkinson's patient?

Q. How to control excess salivary flow in a patient with Parkinson's disease?

Answered by
Dr. Aida Abaz Quka
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 17, 2022

Hello doctor,

My mother has been a Parkinson's patient for ten years. For the past two years, she has been taking tablet Ropark 1 mg twice daily and tablet Syndopa 250 mg thrice daily. For the past year, she has been producing a lot of saliva and has difficulty swallowing and closing her mouth properly. This causes the saliva to leak all the time. Her eyes are lively now when compared to two years back. She has difficulty talking and swallowing. However, her memory and alertness are as good as for a 40-year-old, even though she is 77. She does not have diabetes and does not have cholesterol issues. However, her limbs are weak and not stiff enough. Can medications reduce her saliva flow?

Kindly advise.



Welcome to

I suggest your mother take tablet Syndopa (Levodopa and Carbidopa) in a fractionated dose; five times daily (125 mg) half an hour before food and tablet Ropark (Ropinirole) 1 mg twice daily with food. This will help regulate her balance but will not control the saliva flow. Botox injections in the salivary glands can help improve the excessive saliva in her mouth.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
My mom has Parkinson's disease and suffering from wounds and itchy skin. Please help.

.. I went through the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is looking like she is suffering from a rare disease called a bullous disorder, bullous pemphigoid which will be having blisters and ulcerations.   Read full

How to reduce excess saliva buildup?

.. gone through all the details posted. I can understand your problem and I will explain you the possible treatment options. Firstly, try with oral agents like tablet Glycopyrrolate 1 mg three times a day.   Read full

Constant pain in penis due to small capacity bladder. Need second opinion on the treatment.

I have fibro adenomas in my breasts should i remove then and could they ever turn into cancer i did a biopsy years ago and the dr said its ok shal i do another   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Neurologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.