Q. Constant pain in penis due to small capacity bladder. Need second opinion on the treatment.

Answered by
Dr. Saurabh S Pandya
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Oct 14, 2014 and last reviewed on: Nov 27, 2018

Dear doctor,

I am a 62 year old male. I get constant pain in my penis and get the feeling of my bladder bursting which I try to relieve by urinating, but when I attempt to urinate, I have to apply a lot of pressure to relieve a minimum of only 30 ml or less of urine. Therefore I am forced to sit on the toilet and pass urine as it reduces the amount of pressure I have to put as compared to standing. While seated and urinating, the pressure I apply also results in me passing bits of stool chips.

I have undergone a prostate test whose results are normal, as well as a urine culture test again resulting reports are normal. The report also mentions that the normal capacity of a bladder is about 400 ml whereas my bladder's capacity is only 70 ml stating that my bladder has shrunk.

The frequency of my urination is about every 25 to 30 minutes. I get minimal relief from this pain by consuming buttermilk, water or antacid tablets.

I have been prescribed to take Urimax 0.4 and Comfora (three capsules a day) for the past six months. On second opinion, I have been suggested to take Solitral 10D. I have also undergone a cystoscopy test and the results are as follows:

1. Pertinent Investigative Data: - Urine routine normal. - Urine culture negative. - Sr. Creatinine 0.8 - Sr. PSA 0.4 - USG suggestive of pre-void 102 cc. Post-void 10 cc. - Urine culture for Koch's negative. - IVP normal. - MCU suggestive of left VUR and a small capacity bladder.

2. Clinical History: Irritative lower urinary tract segment.

3. Gross: Received 4 grey white mucosal soft tissue bits measuring 0.6x0.6x0.2 cm, bladder biopsy.

4. Microscopic: Sections show partially ulcerated bladder mucosa with dense lymphoplasmacytic infiltrate and an occasional lymphoid follicle. There are submucosal concretions noted with a giant cell reaction. No fungal elements seen. No granulomas seen. No epithelial atypia noted.

Diagnosis: Follicular cystitis

Request you to please shed light on the medication that I am taking and if there are any alternatives that I should look at. Also, I would like to know if I need to undergo any tests again.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

You have a small capacity bladder with irritative and obstructive symptoms. You may require a uroflow to see if your prostate is obstructing or not.

I assume that your IVP study is normal and urine AFB has been done on three consecutive days so that tuberculosis has been excluded.

Next, you need a full dose of medicines to relax your bladder. Solitral has half the dose of Solifenacin.

You also need to make a bladder volume diary. Your cystoscopy if done under anesthesia would have revealed your true bladder capacity.

  • If the capacity is more than 150 cc then, you can undergo botox injections.
  • If the capacity remains under 150 cc, you may require surgery.

Meanwhile, a full dose of drugs, bladder training, and restricted fluid intake will help.

If your prostate is obstructive, endoscopic surgery for prostate will help you to void easier. Take care.

Feel free to follow up with a urologist online for further clarification --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

My prostate is boggy, and my semen culture showed E.coli bacteria. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27 years old, and I have been suffering from pain during ejaculation. After ejaculation, I feel severe burning during urination at the tip of the penis, from the past six years. From the past year, at the time of ejaculation, the semen does not come out with force, and it re...  Read Full >>

Dr. Devendra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Post-ejaculatory burning in a young male, which is not relieved by antibiotics, may not be of an infective origin. Do not take any injections in the prostate, as that may worsen the scenario. I suggest you try taking the following. Consult your specialist doctor, dis...  Read Full

Anal Fissure: Causes, Prevention, and Treatments.

Article Overview: Pain in the anus is one of the most common complaints encountered in the outpatient clinics. The pain is sometimes described by the patient as 'my worst pain ever. This article provides some suggestions on how to avoid facing this annoying issue by making few dietary and lifestyle changes. Read Article

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim
Medical Gastroenterologist

An anal fissure is a tear or ulcer that develops in the lining of the anal canal after passing a hard motion. Actually, it affects one in ten people at some point in their lives. All age groups and both sexes are affected equally. Causes Constipation is the most common cause either by itself or ...  Read Article

Is surgery advisable for abductor spasmodic dysphonia?

Query: Hello doctor, I suffer from abductor spasmodic dysphonia diagnosed nearly 11 years ago and I have received Botox injections every three to four months since then. Generally, they did work over the years until the last two years or so outcomes have been very poor. The last Botox shots by GA (six un...  Read Full >>

Dr. Girish Subash
ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, you have to know that among spasmodic dysphonias, abductor variety is the least common type. In this, your vocal cord is away from the other vocal cord and the muscle is in unrestricted contraction resulting in voiceless or breathy voice. So, the treatment...  Read Full



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.