Q. What is the reason for excessive saliva dripping from the mouth while waking up?

Dr. Shamaz Mohamed

Every morning when I wake up my mouth is full of saliva and many days it comes out of my mouth while sleeping. And in the day, saliva comes to mouth every 2 to 3 minutes. The problem of morning saliva has been there for more than one year. I have to wake up every morning early because saliva starts coming out of my mouth.

#

As per your complaint, I can provisionally diagnose you as suffering from hypersalivation or sialorrhea. There are various reasons for the same like food debris in the mouth during sleep, use of some drugs like cholinergic drugs, malaligned teeth, improper lip closure due to forwardly placed upper teeth and suffering from the gastric problem, etc. I need to know the reason whether you are suffering from the above, if any, to suggest you the treatment or remedy. You can have an elaborated discussion with me online to mark out the causative reasons for excessive salivation and subsequent treatment. As a home remedy, you can brush your teeth before sleep and drink lukewarm water mixed with a couple of clove and mint leaves to reduce the salivation and also try Levocetirizine tablet for a couple of days.

|