Q. How to deal with teeth grinding that developed due to brain tumor?

Dr. Chirag Solanki
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 10, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My nephew is 2 years and 5 months old and he had a brain surgery two months ago to extract a brain tumor. It was an anaplastic ependymoma on his fourth ventricle. After brain surgery, his awareness was low and he was on a ventilator for 50 days. He is doing well know, but our main problem is his teeth grinding (bruxism). It started five days before the surgery and it got worse after surgery. His teeth grinding made us extract three of his teeth and it is getting worse and it makes him cry and while crying he goes out of breath. His doctors do not know what to do about it. Please help us if there is any drug to make it better.

Dr. Chirag Solanki

General Surgery Neuro Surgery Spine Surgery
#

Sorry to hear about your nephew.

Due to the tumor for which he was operated, the cerebellum (small brain) was affected. Due to that, he has developed bruxism which is a rare complication.

Unfortunately, there is no effective established recommended treatment. Some have tried different groups of drugs like short course of L-dopa, Bromocriptine, and Baclofen. Out of all these, Baclofen has the least side effects which can be tried. Baclofen can be given as 10 to 15 mg per day in two divided doses.

Let me know if the bruxism is more during daytime or while sleeping.

For more information consult a neuro surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neuro-surgeon

|