Q. I have been noticing eye floaters when I am in sunlight. Is it something serious?

Dr. Asha Juliet Barboza
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020
Hello doctor! Since long i have been noticing floaters sort of thing when i am in sunlight or very bright light or in tubelight. I didn't pay much attention because i thought it is common. But now I'm worried is it something serious? I also have myopic vision since few years but never wore any corrective glasses. One eye is 0.50 and other is 1.75. please suggest.
#

Hello, Thanks for the query. Floaters are a common occurrence for almost everybody especially as you grow older and even more so in myopic eyes. It is most noticeable when looking at a white wall or in bright light just like you mentioned and only a keen observer will notice it. They are nothing but old cells floating in the vitreous gel of the eye and never go away. Nothing to worry about. But, having said that, every person should have a retina exam every 2 years routinely. This involves a visit to an ophthalmologist where they will put a special dilating eye drop and examine the back part of the eye to see if there are any retinal holes or tears. These are degenerative changes that occur in some people especially in high myopes but can occur in people predisposed to it. Besides holes, an inflammation inside the eye can cause sudden onset of floaters. I suggest you keep a look on the floaters. If they're the same, nothing to worry about. If you think they're increasing or if you feel there's a shadowy curtain in the side of your visual field, you will need to get an examination at that time. Hope this helps.

|