I have been experiencing eye floaters for about a week or two now. Should I consult an ophthalmologist ?

Q. Should I consult an ophthalmologist for an examination and evaluation of persistent eye floaters?

Answered by
Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 10, 2023 and last reviewed on: Oct 06, 2023

Hello doctor,

I have been experiencing the presence of eye floaters for about a week or two now. Approximately two years ago, I had a mild case of floaters which eventually faded from my awareness. However, recently they have reappeared. The floaters I see appear in various shapes, including thick and thin long ones resembling twigs. I even notice one that slightly resembles a rectangle, as well as around two black dots in my vision. Additionally, when I squint my eyes, I observe some small transparent white dots. Fortunately, I have not experienced flashes or any vision loss, such as tunnel vision.

Considering that it has been two weeks with the floaters persisting, I would like to know if I should consult an ophthalmologist and have my eyes examined.

Kindly help.

Thank you.

Previous history of current medical complaint:

2 years ago I had mild floaters.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Thank you for your query.

In the eye, we can distinguish between two segments: the anterior segment and the posterior segment. The posterior segment contains a gel-like substance called the vitreous. The vitreous is primarily composed of collagen fibers. In some individuals, these collagen fibers can become entangled and float within the vitreous gel. When light enters the eye, these entangled collagen fibers can cast shadows on the retina, resulting in what patients perceive as floaters. It is important to note that floaters are generally harmless. There is currently no specific treatment for floaters; however, it is advised to avoid fixating on them. Floaters are a normal occurrence in many individuals. If there is a sudden increase in the number of floaters or if you have any concerns, it is recommended to consult an ophthalmologist for a thorough examination.

I hope this answer helped you,

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
How to confirm if a patient has adrenal insufficiency?

.. your query, and I can understand your concern. The symptoms do have some elements suggestive of adrenal insufficiency. Fatigue, weight loss, poor appetite, orthostatic hypotension are suggestive whereas anxiety, depression, muscle twitches, eye flashes   Read full

What could be the reason for seeing eye flashes the next day after I drink alcohol?

There is a jelly-like substance in the eye called vitreous humor, and as age progresses, it starts to liquefy, and you start seeing floaters, or it also happens in high myopes ... I suggest you go to an ophthalmologist immedi   Read full

Are eye floaters and partial retinal detachment rare and serious conditions?

Is partial retinal detachment a rare condition ... Also, the chances of partial retinal detachment in your case are low ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.