Q. Shall I use the prescribed eye drops for a 3 month old?

Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 11, 2020

My 3 months old baby got an infection in his right eye. It became red and appears like a layer covered the eye. The tears keep coming from his right eye. He was prescribed to use Alcon Vigamox sterile 5 mL and Ciprofloxacin ophthalmic ointment. Is it fine to use for a 3 month old?

#

• As per your history, your child seems to have developed some kind of eye infection. The treatment that is being given is absolutely perfect.
  • However, up to the age of 6 months, many children have eye discharge. Most eye discharges are non-infective and caused mainly due to small nasolacrimal duct and go away with nasolacrimal massage.
  • Antibiotic eye drops are to be prescribed only if there is a reddish eye with discharge.
  • Recurrent use of ophthalmic antibiotic eye drops should be avoided as it may cause a fungal infection.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|