Q. How to reduce the discharge coming from my left eye?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Published on Sep 27, 2018

I have an eye discharge from my left eye for a week. I thought I have the discharge because of my contact lens (first-time user). I used it for a few days. But I stopped using it now because of the eye discharge. I have eye discharge only from my left eye when I wake up in the morning. Sometimes, my left eye feels heavy when compared to my right eye. Please help.

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

You have discharge from the left eye. This is a severe problem, and it occurs due to an infection. You can have one of these two things. They can occur due to viral or bacterial conjunctivitis. It has symptoms of eyelids sticking together when waking up in the morning, less pain with more irritation and very mild blurring of vision. Another reason is a corneal ulcer which shows symptoms of eyelids sticking together, more pain and the patient may also experience a sharp pricking pain whenever they blink. There can also be a more severe blurred vision, like seeing through a fog.

My advice is clean the discharge away from your eye as soon as you wake up in the morning with warm water. Keep your hands always clean and nails short. Do not rub your eye. This will worsen your condition. Use Refresh tears (Carboxymethylcellulose 0.5 %) eye drops four times a day for two weeks in both the eyes. Use Tobrex (Tobramycin 0.3 %) eye drops for a week. Both these medicines are quite safe to use (unless you have an allergy to either of them previously).

Do not apply them over contact lenses. Stop using your contact lens. But preserve the contact lenses and their case. It can be needed for testing in the future. You may be asked to provide them for testing the infections. Please visit your ophthalmologists in case of discharge or irritation or watering or redness when it does not resolve within two days, and when your vision becomes blurred or when you develop pain.

|