Q. I had an eye injury three days ago, but have no vision changes. What should I look out for?

Dr. Bandivadekar Pooja Mohan

Hello doctor,

I was hit by a rock while using a lawn mower. The rock hit my eyelid and thumped my eye pretty hard. I always wear eye protection but had removed them as the sun was going down. I have no vision changes and was actually seen by my optometrist after the incident. My question is, is it normal for my eye to feel sore where it was hit, just like a bruise is sore anywhere else on the body. It has been three days. Is there anything else to look out for?

#

• Yes, it is normal to feel pain if you have experienced trauma. There are two manifestations of trauma.
  • The early manifestations being usually in the form of a bruise over the skin, subconjunctival hemorrhage, an abrasion over epithelium or frank perforation.
  • Two to three days after trauma, you may note intermediate manifestations like glaucoma, inflammation, macular edema, or bleed, etc.
  • Late manifestations like retinal detachment can occur even a year later.
  • So you definitely need a good look from your ophthalmologist this week and at one month, then at six months.

For more information consult an ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|