Q. I am experiencing itchiness and redness in my eyes. Kindly suggest.

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Published on Jul 17, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am experiencing itchiness and redness in my eyes since a few days. I have been administering eye drops twice or thrice a day since two to three days but the problem persists. The redness is more after waking up and it subsides a bit after using eye drops (Itone eye drops). A major part of my day involves using a laptop. The itchiness and redness are slight, not very extreme. Kindly suggest.

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

From your description, I feel that you could have allergic conjunctivitis with some degree of dry eyes. The major symptom of allergic conjunctivitis being itching and of dry eyes being burning sensation. Both conditions cause redness and irritation and are aggravated by each other.

My advice to you is:

• Avoid eye rubbing - it worsens the allergy and is a vicious cycle, the more you rub the worse it itches.
  • Take breaks every 20 minutes or so while working on the laptop - prolonged use of laptop, mobiles, etc., cause dry eyes which aggravate the allergy.
  • Over the counter medication I suggest are:
  1. Olopatadine 0.1 % twice a day or 0.2 % (Pataday/Olopat/Oloplus) once a day is the safety first line of treatment for your allergic condition. The drawback is that the maximum action starts after around five to seven days in most patients.
  2. For dry eyes, the best cost-effective over the counter medication is Carboxymethylcellulose (Refresh tears) eyedrops 0.5 %.
  • Itone eyedrops is an ayurvedic preparation and I cannot advise you to use it from my side.
  • Apply cold packs or ice packs over closed eyelids when suitable.

I recommended that you see an ophthalmologist in case of the following -

1. The redness, watering, and irritation are worsening in spite of the above measures.

2. There is a drop in the visual ability/clarity of vision goes down - check each eye by closing the other.

3. Your eyes stick together when you open your eyes for the first time in the morning after sleep.

Hope you get well soon. Kindly revert back to me in case you have any further questions. Review after two weeks.

Revert after two weeks to an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Thank you for the prompt and detailed response. I have bought both the eye drops and since a couple of days the reddening of the eyes has increased a bit and mucus is built up in the morning when I wake up. Right now, the vision is getting slightly blocked due to building up of mucus. Also the mucus is mostly clear but once or twice today, I have seen dark yellowish construct. Kindly suggest.

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

The onset of sticking of eyelids when waking up in the morning is a sign that says that the condition is "viral conjunctivitis". This needs a consultation with an ophthalmologist and an eye examination.

Please continue Olopatadine and lubricant eye drops.

Measures to reduce the severity are -

1. Avoid eye rubbing.
  2. Wash the discharge (mucus) collected in your eyes when you wake up with water of any temperature you are comfortable with.
  3. Use tissues to wipe the water flowing out your eyes instead of cloth/handkerchiefs. If using a cloth, you tend to wipe the same mucus contaminated part over the eye each time you wipe but the tissues can be used and thrown. The cleaner you keep the eye, the sooner the condition resolves.

This is a contagious disease and spreads by contact/touch rather than by looking into the eyes of the patient. So, keep your hands clean by washing often.

Please let me know if you have any more queries.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

I have dry eyes and feel heaviness and pain. What can be done?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 42 years old female going through dry eyes for the past 45 days. I have been to three different doctors but no relief. I feel heaviness in the eyes along with pain and redness. I have been given a gel and a tube (Systane eye drop and Ara gel). Please help.  Read Full »

Are bacterial conjunctivitis and blepharitis related?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with blepharitis. I also have seborrhoeic dermatitis (perhaps rosacea as well), and my condition has improved greatly. Recently, I got very bad allergy symptoms, my eyes and nose became extremely itchy, causing me to sneeze a lot. This morning when I woke up, I had trou...  Read Full »

Can vestibular problems and C5-C6 bulge cause headaches?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had persistent, recurrent headaches and shooting head pains due to a concussion from a traumatic brain injury, that I acquired five years back. The doctor has described my headaches as tension-type headaches, I have pain behind the eyes mainly, but it can be on the top of the head...  Read Full »