Q. I have pain, redness and swelling in eyes for the past one week. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Pooja Pandya
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 16, 2020

Hello doctor,

My eye is paining since Sunday. My eye is red now, it is paining while moving also when the light comes. I am felling a little swelling as well.

Dr. Pooja Pandya

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Thank you for sending the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity) so that I can get an idea about it. For me it is looking like an infection. I can prescribe you medicine so that you can get rid of these symptoms.

But in the first image, there is something whitish area on your cornea. So I just want to know that it is really there or its reflection which is visible in the photo. Just answer me one question because treatment is different for both conditions. So I should confirm it from you and then I will give you a prescription of drops. That you have to use and you will be completely all right.

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

I have attached the file. Yes, you are right. Looking like cornea is little covered from the upper side.

Dr. Pooja Pandya

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

See let me explain you everything clearly. As you said and you have send me images again showing congestion means redness and there is a white spot on your corner. And it is there since few days, right?

So, the likely possibility here in your case is a corneal ulcer. But to diagnose it 100% we should do slit lamp examination of your eyes. Because that whitish lesion or spot can be a source of infection. So my personal advice to you is as early as possible you should consult your nearby ophthalmologist it is better if you can consult cornea specialist if not at least general ophthalmologist. Because if it will increase, there are high chance of infection getting spread.

And if needed you should undergo corneal scraping and culture also to rule out its etiology. So please go and consult your doctor. As I told you if it is whitish lesion treatment will be different so I cannot prescribe you any drops now because it is a different scenario not a simple eye infection.

The Probable causes:


Investigations to be done:

Slit-lamp examination. If needed scrapping.

Differential diagnosis:

Conjunctivitis. Corneal ulcer.

Probable diagnosis:

Likely corneal ulcer.

Regarding follow up:

After 1 week.

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Can dry eyes result from excessive computer use?

Query: Hi doctor, I am using artificial tear drops during the day and an artificial tear gel in the night before going to bed for dry eyes. In most of the days, I feel a lot better, however, one day or another I have the same symptoms or watery eyes and redness and minor blurred vision. This happens with...  Read Full »

I have headaches, eye pain and vomiting. Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 36 year old female. I have a cluster head ache for the past five years. I feel severe pain behind my eye, which normally ends with vomiting. This happens for three to four days at a stretch. I do not want to undergo any surgery immediately. Hence, kindly advise me medications t...  Read Full »

Why do I have eye pain even after using new glasses?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having dry eyes problem since last four years due to regular eight hours computer use. There is burning also sometimes and reading puts stress on eyes. I consulted a doctor and started using Softdrops daily 3 to 4 times before computer use, and taking Retinox tablets periodically...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.