Q. Will root canal treated tooth cause pain in eye and mouth?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
Published on Dec 11, 2018

For the last two nights, my right eye and the right side of my mouth have been bothering me a lot and I thought it was because of a headache but it is not. I have had a root canal done over a year ago in the right side in the back of my mouth and one done again behind that tooth. Could the pain from a root canal or failing root canal cause so much pain to my eye? And today on the second day I have felt like I have had water up my nose all day and my eyes burn. I use gadgets a lot.

#

I have read through your complaint and the relevant details. The reason for pain in the eye region should be due to any tooth infection in the upper front tooth region precisely the canine tooth. It could be a hidden decay in the tooth which bothers you a lot. I advice you to get it checked with the dentist along with an X-ray for the tooth in suspicion. There are least chances that the failed root canal treatment could cause this. A root canal treated tooth is equivalent to a dead tooth and this might not cause any pain at all. Moreover, you have mentioned that your nose waters and the eyes burn. I find these symptoms are irrelevant to the dental history you have given. Considering your age, I suspect that there are more possibilities for you sitting around with the electronic gadgets for longtime. This is the main reason for the symptoms you have mentioned. I highly recommend you to drink plenty of water and eat food that cools up your body such as watermelon, cucumber, lemon juice, etc. Oiling your head is again another tip which can help you reduce the body heat.

My eyesight is getting worse due to pain in the corner of my left eye. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 19 years old. I have pain in the corner of my left eye for the past one year. I went to the doctor, and he gave me Sterdex. I used it and felt better. My pain went away. After a few months, I started to have pain, but it was not so severe as the first time. I wear glasses and lenses...  Read Full >>

Dr. Manish Mahabir
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Minimize the use of steroids as much as possible to avoid side effects such as an increase in eye pressure leading to glaucoma. Both Sterdex (Dexamethasone) and Chibro are steroids. They may relieve your symptoms in the short run but may harm your eyes if used for long ...  Read Full

I have headaches, eye pain and vomiting. Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 36 year old female. I have a cluster head ache for the past five years. I feel severe pain behind my eye, which normally ends with vomiting. This happens for three to four days at a stretch. I do not want to undergo any surgery immediately. Hence, kindly advise me medications t...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, I want to inform you that a cluster headache is a type of a migraine and it needs to be managed like one. The guidelines suggest that if you have two or more days lost in a month due to a headache, the prop...  Read Full

How is a cracked molar treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a cracked molar tooth. My dentist drilled it down and put on a temporary. We waited for a week and the temporary hurt. He decided that I need crown lengthening, which I had done. I went back to the dentist after it healed for three weeks and had an impression for a crown. He had to ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your complaint and the relevant details. A cracked tooth can be root canal treated depending on the direction of the crack within the tooth especially if it involves the vital part of the tooth called the pulp. The pulp is the vital part. When it is in...  Read Full