Q. Is high eye pressure a typical sign of glaucoma?

Dr. Dada Peer K
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 02, 2020

I have high eye pressure of 30 and 24, visual field loss, and at times I go completely blind in both eyes. I have also gone blind in just one eye. I just went back to the eye doctor when I had the pressure of 24 and 30. I have been there three times and each time I had a high eye pressure. He at first told me everything looked good until I asked him what my pressure was again because he specifically said my pressure was good when I knew that it was high. He told me that it was fairly high when I asked for it but he says I do not have any optic nerve damage and that it is highly unlikely that I have glaucoma because I am 23 years old. But my research has told me differently that high eye pressure alone does not mean that that you have glaucoma but if you have visual field loss or optic nerve damage with your high eye pressure then you do. So I do not know what is going on? Can you please help me understand and is it possible that I do have glaucoma and should go to another doctor?

Dr. Dada Peer K

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I reviewed your history. The presence of elevated intraocular pressure is called as ocular hypertension. If it is associated with visual field changes or optic disc changes it is called as glaucoma. However, ocular hypertension alone also requires treatment particularly in your case as intraocular pressure is high.

Hence you need to consult glaucoma specialist for evaluation and advice accordingly.

Increased intraocular pressure.

Visual fields, OCT (optic coherence tomography).

Glaucoma.

Antiglaucoma drugs.

Once in six months.

| 

I am stressed and lack energy. Please suggest some nerve soother.

Query: Hello doctor, Please suggest a harmless over-the-counter nerve soother. I am stressed, and I cannot destress. I am healthy, but I lack energy and get very irritated. Please help.  Read Full »

Why is there swelling in lips after taking OTC medications?

Query: Hi doctor, My lips have got swollen. It happened around last year too. From night, my lips got huge, even after I took OTC allergy medications. I woke up in the morning. I felt nauseous, but my lips got little smaller. I continued to use OTC medications.  Read Full »

My eye pressure is slightly above average, does it mean glaucoma?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a few questions about glaucoma. I recently had my yearly eye check-up, and my doctor told me that my eye pressure is slightly above average. I know that having a high eye pressure can cause glaucoma, and it leads to permanent blindness. I do not have any pain in the eye, and also...  Read Full »