Q. Which is best between SMILE and Contoura Vision?

Dr. Priyanka Agarwal
Published on Dec 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have to get a spectacles removal surgery but because of a thin cornea, I cannot have LASIK. So, the doctor suggested SMILE. But now I have read some disadvantages of SMILE. There is one more called Contoura Vision which is considered to be the best. Can you please guide me that with a thin cornea, what should I opt? SMILE or Contoura Vision? I do not want ICL.

Dr. Priyanka Agarwal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Each procedure has its own pros and cons.

SMILE (Small Incision Lenticule Extraction) is a good technique with good results. I did in many patients and the result was very nice.

It does not correct any imperfections of the cornea which can be done by the Contoura vision.

So first it has to be clear whether your cornea apart from thin has any other issues?

From my side, you can opt any one.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

I do not think that I have any cornea imperfection. I have attached my pen cam report. Can you please have a look and guide me further?

Dr. Priyanka Agarwal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I have seen your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Your corneal depth is around 450. No other thing is seen apart from it.

So, I suggest you can better go for a SMILE (Small Incision Lenticule Extraction) technique.

Your astigmatism is also not so high.

So just do not worry.

I was afraid as I read on the internet that the SMILE results were not good.

Dr. Priyanka Agarwal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

You are most welcome. You can come back to us anytime in the future.

Will masturbating on next day of laser eye surgery cause any side-effect?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother had an eye trauma. So, he had laser surgery for retina after two months of trauma. But he masturbated the next day of laser surgery (after 19 hours). Will that cause any problem to his retina or retinal nerve? Will it increase intraocular pressure? Please give a detailed an...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Masturbation will not have any adverse effect on laser treatment of retina or retina. There may be a minimal increase of intraocular pressure with masturbation but that must be non-significant. Kindly share the file to guide you better.  Read Full

Should I stop weight training after laser eye surgery?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been doing weight training for six months but recently my eye specialist told me to not lift heavy weights because I had laser treatment for retinal holes three years ago. So, should I stop weight training completely or should I drop the weights? Currently, I am doing deadlifts a...  Read Full >>

Dr. Asif Manzoor
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no limit of weight lifting as such. But usually heavy weight lifting or strenuous exercise is banned if there are untreated breaks. If breaks are secured with a sufficient laser that usually takes 1 to 2 weeks for maximum effect. But there is always a risk of n...  Read Full

My father has a constant pain in head after eye surgery. Please give your expert advice.

Query: Hi doctor, My father, who is 53 years old, is suffering from diabetic retinopathy and has undergone vitreoretinal surgery. After the surgery, his eye (right) responded well. But now, there is a constant pain in his head. The doctors said that there is some pressure in the eye, which increases and re...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The eye has got pressure known as intraocular pressure (IOP) just like your blood pressure. The normal eye pressure range is 10 to 21 mmHg. Beyond this pressure, the neurons present in the¬†optic nerve (a nerve that connects eye to the brain) starts damaging leading to...  Read Full