Q. My eyelid is swollen with a tender bump for the past two days. Kindly help.

Dr. Asha Barboza

I am a 21-year-old female. My eyelid is swollen for the last two days. I feel like there is a tender bump with slight pain when touched. Please help.

#

I looked at the photograph you attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like an inflammation of the eyelid called a hordeolum, which might be an internum or externum. It is difficult to say which type unless I have a magnified examination of the lid's inner part.

For management, you can apply a hot compress with warm water and a cotton or paper towel three times a day for a week along with the antibiotic eye drops like Moxifloxacin every three hourly along with an antibiotic ointment at night, both for five days to one week. The pus might come out in a day or two, so do not be alarmed.

This occurs due to infection of the glands situated in the eyelid and could be due to rubbing your eye with soiled fingers or external factors. If it is recurrent, it could indicate the presence of a refractive error. Follow the treatment I suggested above. If it does not disappear in a few days, it may require surgical drainage.

|