Q. Why am I having continuous twitching in biceps for a long period of time?

Dr. Nene Devavrat Harihar

I have been having continuous twitching in my right bicep where the tendon meets the elbow. This has been happening for last seven weeks and the vibration of the twitching when I am resting my elbow (say on a table while using a mouse) is quite large enough for my entire arm. I have no associated muscle weakness in the right arm and an EMG and NCS done last week have come clear saying it is a potentially benign fasciculation. A full MRI scan of the spine and brain has shown no abnormalities. My concern is that the twitching has not stopped for such a long period. Is there cause for concern for this to be a motor neuron disease? Currently, I am taking Lyrica 75 mg and Rejunex CD3.

#

If the nerve conductions and EMG (electromyography) have come clean then there is nothing to worry about. Fasiculations are generally considered significant only if they are associated with weakness or wasting. Do these occur only in a particular position?

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Only in specific fibers of the right bicep, continuous all the time at almost one per second, sometimes a bit irregular. The remaining right bicep is silent and adjoining muscles are silent.

#

Any neck pain? Radiating pain to right arm? Any history of trauma or local injury? Any recent travel or weight lifting or jerk to the neck?

No pain in the neck or radiating pain. I have been lifting heavy weights over last six months, fairly intense at times, 2 to 3 times a week. Plus undergoing physiotherapy for a knee injury twice a week.

#

Alright, sounds good. Let us just observe it. It should resolve spontaneously. Give heavy weight lifting a little rest for a few days. Reduce caffeine intake. Try Vitamin E 200 IU twice a day for a week along with your previous medications. It will go off. Do not worry.

|