Q. Why is my fasting blood sugar level higher than postprandial?

Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2019

My fasting blood sugar is 130 to 135 over last four years. My postprandial sugar is between 90 to 110. Yes, my postprandial is less than my fasting sugar level. Usually, the reading will be taken after 1 hour 45 minutes or 2 hours after eating breakfast. I am unable to bring down the fasting sugar level. My HbA1c reading is 6. I am taking Glycomet 500 mg before dinner daily. Can you tell me why my fasting is higher than my postprandial?

#

• I would like to tell you that different mechanism of our body act to control our fasting and postprandial sugars.
  • Firstly, you are doing well with your blood sugars. The fasting sugar is slightly higher, but no issues.
  • Secondly, you should take your medicine Glycomet (Metformin) after dinner and not before dinner. Please consult your specialist doctor and discuss this with him or her.
  • When you eat something, and your blood sugars rise, Insulin and a few other enzymes are produced to get it in the normal range, post your meal and help with metabolizing it.
  • Your fasting sugar is actually what the liver produces over night in the state of fasting while you are sleeping, so the fundamental processes of your body still function while you sleep.
  • When you say that your fasting sugar is high, that means the enzymes involved in those steps of metabolism are not working at their best and need attention.

For further doubts consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

|