Q. Why is my fasting blood sugar level higher than postprandial?

Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar
Published on Dec 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2019

My fasting blood sugar is 130 to 135 over last four years. My postprandial sugar is between 90 to 110. Yes, my postprandial is less than my fasting sugar level. Usually, the reading will be taken after 1 hour 45 minutes or 2 hours after eating breakfast. I am unable to bring down the fasting sugar level. My HbA1c reading is 6. I am taking Glycomet 500 mg before dinner daily. Can you tell me why my fasting is higher than my postprandial?

#

• I would like to tell you that different mechanism of our body act to control our fasting and postprandial sugars.
  • Firstly, you are doing well with your blood sugars. The fasting sugar is slightly higher, but no issues.
  • Secondly, you should take your medicine Glycomet (Metformin) after dinner and not before dinner. Please consult your specialist doctor and discuss this with him or her.
  • When you eat something, and your blood sugars rise, Insulin and a few other enzymes are produced to get it in the normal range, post your meal and help with metabolizing it.
  • Your fasting sugar is actually what the liver produces over night in the state of fasting while you are sleeping, so the fundamental processes of your body still function while you sleep.
  • When you say that your fasting sugar is high, that means the enzymes involved in those steps of metabolism are not working at their best and need attention.

For further doubts consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

Please suggest a cure for dark skin around pubic region.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20 year old male. I have type 1 diabetes for the past seven years. I am using Insulin pump with Novo Rapid insulin for 4 years now. From the past six months, the skin around my pubic region is becoming dark. It is not itchy, but it is dark compared to the whole body complexion...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hyperpigmentation in the body folds and groin region is a commonly seen problem in people with diabetes and insulin resistance. It is usually a consequence of excess weight, which leads to such changes. Also, the addition of friction in these areas increases the problem ...  Read Full

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

Ask a Diabetologist Now