Q. Does fatty liver cause nausea and stomach heaviness?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

My mother was diagnosed with fatty liver grade 3. She feels nauseous and stomach heaviness and pain most of the time.

#

Fatty liver is a part of metabolic syndrome. All these issues are multifactorial. The disease has a genetic predisposition and is affected by environmental factors like lifestyle, food habits, etc. A sedentary lifestyle and excessive carbohydrate intake aggravate insulin resistance and hence metabolic syndrome. Pain is one of the problems in the fatty liver, although it may be due to other causes as well. So first, we need to evaluate in detail. This pain may be due to IBS, which we need to discuss in detail.

If not treated, this fatty liver causes inflammation in the liver, fibrosis, and cirrhosis later.

Here we can modify the disease course by lifestyle change, altering food habits, and effective control of diabetes.

NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease), IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).

Blood- Complete blood count, liver biochemical test (LFT), KFT (kidney function test), HBsAg, Anti HCV, Thyroid function, Lipid profile, FBS (fasting blood sugar), HB1Ac.
Stool H.Pylori antigen.
Abdomen ultrasound.
Fibroscan.

Lifestyle modification, avoid sedentary time. Increase physical activity, engage in weight reduction programs. target weight loss is 0.5 to 1 kg per week. May take the help of a physical trainer.

Hypocaloric diet (700 calorie less as per the latest diet intake), high protein-100gm/day. May take the help of a dietician.

As per the current medication, we can plan for further treatment to control diabetes and IBS. So you kindly follow with the details and reports of the above-mentioned investigations.

Review with reports, and also provide more clinical or pharmacological detail.

|