Q. I am diagnosed with focal fatty sparing. How to treat it?

Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz

I am diagnosed with focal fatty sparing. What is my problem? What medicines should I take and when to followup with the doctor?

#

I have gone through the reports that you have uploaded (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The report mentions as focal fat sparing. Usually, this is done specifically to identify liver lesions, which have been picked up in ultrasound or uncommonly in another CT scan, which was not a triple-phase.

Focal fat sparing in the liver does not need any further evaluation (if confirmed on triple-phase CT or multiphase MRI) or follow up since it is a benign condition and a variant of normal.

There was no mention of how this was identified in the first instance and any symptoms that you had. It would be advisable to retain a copy of the report and films or a soft copy of the CT report for future reference.

We found this while we went to check for kidney stone. Sometimes I had a dull pain under the ribs. Whether it can be cured by medicine, and be cleared? Already I started to change my diet to help my fatty liver. I take vegatables, juices of citrus fruits, apple, grapes, and bananas for the past 10 days. Does focal fatty sparing is mass benign and causes pain or fever?

#

Fatty liver with or without focal fat sparing does not cause much symptoms. Fatty liver is not exactly a benign condition because in the long term, fatty liver can lead to cirrhosis (over the course of many years). The best way is to improve the condition by life style management.

One does not have to be a vegetarian, but have a healthy lifestyle, weight control, exercise, restricting alcohol, and adequately controlling diabetes (if you are diabetic) is all that is needed.

Please tell whether the symptoms may be reversed by medicines? Does it cause any pain or fever? Do I need follow up treatment?

#

As I said, fatty liver does not cause symptoms. You would need to regularly follow up with a gastroenterologist (ideally every six months).

Will it cause a fever? Can I go for fibroscan?

#

Fatty liver does not have associated fever. In case you are having on and off fever, it is better to have it evaluated. Fibroscan is an ideal option when one has a fatty liver to look at the liver's grade of stiffness (fibrosis).

Fibroscan is 7.8. What should I do further? What diet should I take? Should I do exercise? I am a very lean body and already on a fluid diet.

#

The fibroscan value is not bad (minimal fibrosis). Diet is mainly low fat. Avoid fried and greasy food. You do not have to be a vegetarian. You can have non-vegetarian too. There is no recommendation anywhere for fluid diet, bland diet, or vegetarian diet in fatty liver.

Exercise 30-45 minutes daily at least five to six days a week. Brisk walking is adequate, though if interested, may attend gym two to three times a week. Black coffee with minimum sugar one to two cups a day has shown to be beneficial in fatty liver and liver fibrosis.

| 

Does CT scan go through lead aprons?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 32 years old female. I went to the hospital ER for hip or abdominal pain. They ordered a CT scan. During the scan, they used lead aprons on my breast, neck, and abdomen. Does the scan go through these aprons? They found nothing but a nodule on my lung. I am just wondering if it s...  Read Full »

If lung nodules happen to be malignant, will it grow in to masses?

Query: Hi doctor, Six years ago, I had a CT scan that incidentally found three small lung nodules. I had a follow-up scan six months later and they were the same and resembled scars. I just started worrying about them as I have been a bit tight chested for a couple of days (I do have asthma every now and...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to take various medicines with antibiotic in a fatty liver patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a red, swollen and infected ingrown toe nail. It is speeding quickly and painfully. Yesterday I saw Dermatologist for the first time and she wrote me a prescription antibiotic of Ciprofloxacin 500mg/Thrice/day for one week and then do a partial toe nail surgery. Later, my last ...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»