Q. Is it possible for fibrosis in autoimmune hepatitis to come down from F4 to F0?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

I am 26 years old. Two years back, I found that I have autoimmune hepatitis. At that time they did Fibroscan, in that kPa is 14.5 (F4). Last one year I took medicines (steroids) and I stopped. Now it again came back and doctors did a biopsy, in that it is showing:

Portal and lobular hepatitis with areas of confluent hepatocytic necrosis and Ishak fibro score are 0.

Is it possible for my fibrosis to come from F4 to F0? How is my liver now based on that biopsy report?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics
#

In autoimmune hepatitis, it is possible to decrease the fibrosis. Or other possibility may be that, initial fibroscan was done in acute inflammatory state hence it may be falsely high. We need to compare it with the liver enzymes at that point of time. Autoimmune disease may be episodically triggered by various factors. You must continue the medication.

| 

Based on that biopsy report which I attached is there any severe damage happened to the liver? If it is reversible? Can I have a normal life with life long medication?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

#

I have seen the report. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

In this biopsy report, it is suggested that you have inflating liver, with medication it may be controlled in most of the cases. Life may be normal with medication.

| 

Are there any complications for marriage life? Can I get married?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

#

There are no complications, you can get married. You may have kids as well. You should follow the treatment and do routinely your required investigations.

| 

Thank you dcotor,

Is there any chance of occurrence of cirrhosis in the future? Or need to transplant a liver?

Please suggest to me foods which should I avoid and which should I take more? Can I take the food which can improve the immune power?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

#

Autoimmune diseases are episodic in nature in the initial course. So there is a chance always. It may or may not recur. There is no definitive evidence about restriction of particular food or activity. But you should eat healthily.

You do liver function tests and autoimmune markers including total IgG. We can monitor the activity of the disease by monitoring laboratory markers.

| 

One last question. I am a software engineer and it is somewhat stressful. Can I continue my job?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

#

Of course, you can continue. Lot of our patients are doing different kinds of jobs in different parts of the world. It is not related to the job profile.

| 

Thank you so much for your kind help.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

#

You are welcome. Keep in touch for further doubts.

| 

Are swollen face and bitter taste in the mouth, side effects of taking Budesonide?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother was diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis last year, and her treatment is going very well. Currently, she is taking Budesonide 6 mg and Azoran 75 mg. She also takes Insulin, Actrapid Flexpen, and Basalog One to control her blood sugar fluctuations, as she has diabetes also. I h...  Read Full »

Why is my SGOT and SGPT raised after chickenpox?

Query: Hello doctor, I had chickenpox one month back and my SGOT is 178 and SGPT is 251 now. Elastography is 5.3 kPa, ANA is 13.74, IgG is 2145, serum ceruloplasmin is 24.90, hepatitis E antibody IgM is 0.09, bilirubin total is 0.40, bilirubin direct is 0.10 and no fever, urine white, no weakness, and the ...  Read Full »