Q. My ultrasound report says parenchyma has fatty echotexture. What does it mean?

Dr. Utkarsh Sharma
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I have fatty liver disease. In my ultrasound, it says the parenchyma has fatty echotexture. What does it mean? And also, tell me, is it a first-stage liver disease? I have attached my reports. Kindly give your opinion.

#

The liver metabolizes the fat in our body. And if due to some reason, there is excess fat beyond which the liver cannot metabolize or if there is a certain degree of liver damage that hampers its normal ability to metabolize fat. then the excess fat accumulates in the body and the liver. "Fatty echotecture" is the technical term used in USG (ultrasonography) to specify that there is fat accumulation in liver tissue. On the changes visualized on the USG, there are three grades of fatty liver.

They are as follows:

1) Grade I - The mildest form. Here, the fat accumulates on the outside of the liver and does not affect its function. It is easily reversible in treating the cause.

2) Grade II - A moderately severe form that requires medical intervention to prevent it from worsening.

3) Grade III - Severe form and with there is the presence of symptoms as well. Active treatment is required.

Your grade should have been mentioned on ultrasound, but it is missing (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). What are the symptoms you have been experiencing? It would be best if you also got done a lipid profile.

I hope this was helpful.

|