Q. Ultrasound of my 4-year-old son shows fecaliths with stomach pain. Please advise on this.

Dr. Preeti Puranik
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 28, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 30, 2019

My 4 years old son is suffering from stomach pain from the last eight to nine days. He mostly complain about that in the evening time or after mid night. If I massage his stomach he feels relaxed. He underwent an ultrasound along with appendix and some other blood tests including TB. All reports are fine. No complaint of loose motion. He is feeling down from a couple of days and not eating properly. Suddenly he starts to complain of pain in the stomach. But the pain does not remain all day. Even in the school, he sits with his head down in free time. Please advise me on what is the problem and remedies for the cure?

He is currently taking Duphalac, Drotin DS, Zentel, and Metrogyl.

Dr. Preeti Puranik

Paediatrics
#

I have seen the reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The on and off stomach pain is due to constipation. The scan report says few fecaliths are present which means hard stools that are not cleared. I feel this is the reason. Encourage him to take lots of fruits and vegetables along with dry fruits like dates, prunes, dry figs, etc., which will help to make the stool soft. He has to drink lots of water. Avoid junk foods, wheat, and maida products.

He is already taking Duphalac which will take about a weeks time to act. Also to clear the fecaliths, please show him to a pediatric surgeon. Once those are cleared and constipation is treated, he may feel comfortable.

| 

How fecaliths can be cleared? Is it a normal thing or something else? He is feeling so down and not participating in anything and not eating properly. He always tries to stay inside the room and wants to lye in the bed most of the time.

Dr. Preeti Puranik

Paediatrics
#

Please consult a pediatric surgeon. He will guide you. It depends on the size and where they are. They can be removed manually or by enema. Or if it is too small may come out with inserting a suppository. Please take him to the doctor if he is feeling so down. The actual cause can be identified only after examining him.

|