Q. I do not have dandruff but still losing hair. Why?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 13, 2020

I am a 38 year old woman and have been losing my hair for about six years. All tests came back negative. My GP prescribed a shampoo as she thought I had dandruff, but I have never had dandruff. I am taking Fexofenadine for urticaria and Naproxen for costochondritis. Also, I have a Mirena coil due to very heavy periods. I do have thyroid, diabetes and vitamin D issue. Any help would be great. Thank you.

#

With your descriptions it seems that you are suffering from female pattern hair loss.

If you can send picture of your scalp it will be better to diagnose.

You did not comment on test reports. Are you a diabetic? Are you suffering from hypothyroidism?

Since you are having heavy periods you should go for serum ferritin level and hemoglobin level.

If you have diffuse hair loss you can start 2% Minoxidil 1 mL local application daily and tablet Biotin (vitamin H or vitamin B7 supplement) once daily.

To see visible response it will take two to three months.

Female pattern hair loss.

Chronic telogen effluvium.
Female pattern hair loss.

Follow up monthly to a dermatologist online.--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|