Q. Why is my head shedding excess hair these days?

Answered by Dr. Stuti Khare Shukla and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Androgenetic Alopecia or Hairfall? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I have been shedding excess hair in the past few weeks. It was just a few in the beginning but now when I comb my hand through my head, 10 to 15 strands of hair come out in my hand. I do not know what is causing this. I have tried to find the reason online but there are lots of theories on the Internet. This has been there a few weeks. Earlier, hair used to fall normally like 20 or 25 per day but that was normal. But now all of a sudden the density of my hair has reduced drastically.

I cannot touch my hair anymore because if I do, they will start falling out. I did have a severe cold fever one or two months back. It was a different kind of illness with severe head pain and food tasting bitter for at least 10 days. Also, I have not properly washed my hair in the past four months. During that time, I could feel many scabs on my scalp. I think this may have been related to that. Please help.