Q. The knot feel in my left side belly button disturbs bowel movement and sitting. Please help.

Dr. Asma Sajid

I was doing crunches (exercise) three years ago, something went wrong near my left side abdomen I mean the left side of belly button portion. I feel a kind of knot sensation. I cannot evacuate properly even if my stool is soft. I cannot pass gas and urine comes slowly unless gas is fully evacuated. I did an ultrasound scan and everything is fine no hernia nothing. While I sleep I do not notice this knot kind of sensation but while I am sitting I can feel it. Doctor said it was a muscle catch and gave some medications but it did not work. Can you help me?

#

I have read your query in detail and it seems as if you might be suffering from a femoral hernia. Though less common in men than an Inguinal hernia, it does cause the kind of symptoms you seem to be facing. Long term solution is obviously surgery, but since we do not have enough information, I will try to alleviate your symptoms rather than diagnose.

Wear scrotal support, this will lend strength to muscles in sitting and standing positions. You can try an abdominal binder if pain or strain or knot is more above rather than below the abdomen. Avoid standing for more than five minutes in one go, rest or sit as often as possible.

Increase water intake to 10-12 glasses a day. Avoid eating high sugar foods to decrease gas or bloating. Follow up after 14 days with ultrasound abdomen and x-ray abdomen erect.

| 

Understanding the Types of Hernia Better

Article Overview: The protrusion of an internal organ through a weak spot in the muscles or tissues is called a hernia. Read about its types, causes, symptoms, risk factors, and treatment. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Surgical Gastroenterologist

What Is a Hernia? A hernia is the protrusion of an internal organ through a weakened area in the muscles or tissues. Most hernias are seen in the abdomen, but they can be seen in the groin and upper thigh regions also. They do not pose an immediate threat to life but require surgery as they do not ...  Read Article

Urine is coming out from the testes. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old. I have been suffering from a few health problems for many years. I think that I have some problems with my testicles. They hang low, feel sensitive, and sometimes they pain (mild) when they get any push. Two months ago, I also had an ultrasound and color Doppler. Everyt...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a General Practitioner Now