Q. After taking Paracetamol, my fever shot up to 105. Why?

Dr. Zubayeralam
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 18, 2021 and last reviewed on: Aug 14, 2021

I got a fever of 100 degrees Fahrenheit with body pain. Then, I took Calpol 650. After taking it, my temperature showed 105 degrees. What to do?

#

Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you are suffering from a fever that is very high in nature. As Acetaminophen or Paracetamol cannot subside your fever, I think that you should start taking broad-spectrum antibiotics like Azithromycin or Cefixime immediately. If your fever does not subside within five to six days, then you should undergo some investigations. If you have any other complications without high fever and body pain, then kindly tell me in detail. Take care. In case of any other query ask me.

Can I continue taking Paracetamol 650 with a gap of six hours? Do I need to start taking antibiotics immediately as soon as possible?

#

Thank you for joining again. As your temperature shows 105 degrees Fahrenheit on the thermometer, then it is wise to start taking antibiotics. If it is impossible to take antibiotics at night time, then you can take Paracetamol for subsiding your fever. If your temperature reduces after taking Paracetamol for a long period, then you should not start taking antibiotics. If Paracetamol is not able to subside your fever or if you have a persistent high temperature, then you can start taking antibiotics. Take care. Let me know if I can assist you further.

|