Q. I tried to pop a pimple on my thigh and it turned into a large sore. Please help.

Dr. Sandeep Golla

Hello doctor,

I had what I thought was a pimple on my inner thigh. I tried to pop it, but it just got swollen and red. It has now been three to four days and it has turned into a large open sore. It is about 3/8 inches wide and only hurts when it rubs against clothing. I am attaching a picture of the wound.

Dr. Sandeep Golla

Dermatology Venereology
#

I have gone through the image. Your concern is a healing furuncle.

• You require a course of oral antibiotics. I suggest you start using T-Bact ointment (Mupirocin topical) twice daily along with Paracetamol tablets for reducing the pain until you consult a physician.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

I have tried Bactrim DS tablets and Mupirocin cream, but there was no improvement. My question is should I apply the cream and leave the wound open or wrap it up with gauze? Also, what to do about the wound overnight? And, should I be taking one Bactrim every day or two? Any additional information is greatly appreciated. I live in a very small town with no proper medical facilities. Also, the wound has not gotten any worse or bigger in the past few days but neither is it healing. I have been applying the cream thrice a day and taking one Bactrim because that is what the label says.

Dr. Sandeep Golla

Dermatology Venereology
#

• Start a combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid 625 mg tablet such as Clavam 625. Have it twice daily after food if you are not allergic to penicillin antibiotics. If that is not available, then have Bactrim DS (Sulfamethopyrazine and Trimethoprim) twice daily for seven days. You need to take them after food.
  • Avoid spicy and sour food until you finish the antibiotic course to avoid acidity.
  • Apply gauze bandage while going to bed and while bathing. During the day, you can avoid the bandage.
  • Use Mupirocin cream for two weeks.
  • Check your fasting and post prandial blood sugar levels.
  • If a recurrence of the furuncle is noted, go for a pus culture and sensitivity and after that go for antibiotics if required. This will prevent a cross resistance against the bacteria.
  • Have at least three to four liters of water every day and a protein rich diet. This will help you.

|