Q. Am I giving the right medicine to my daughter for fever?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 28, 2021

My 6 year old daughter was having fever since last night. Fever was between 100 and 101 degrees Fahrenheit. Initially, baby felt cold and her feet were cold as well. But, later on even the feet became hot. I administered syrup Calpol 5 mL once at 10 PM. Child's weight is around 34 kg, slightly stout figure. She has cough, though, which is not productive, but has a lot of spasm. My daughter has an exam today. Now, in the morning the fever has subsided, yet remains at 99 degrees Fahrenheit. Please advice.

#

I understand your concern.

• I would suggest you to continue giving Paracetamol every 4 to 6 hours for at least two to three days irrespective of fever.
  • As her weight is 34 kg, I would suggest you increase the dose to 7.5 mL of 250mg per 5 mL suspension.
  • Generally, viral fevers may last for two to five days, so please continue with Paracetamol for three days at least.
  • If in case the fever shoots up, then start with tepid sponging and administer Mefenamic acid syrup or tablet  Meftal P around 100 to 200 mg. This would bring down temperature soon.
  • You can continue with anti-allergic and antitussive medication for her cough and cold.

For further information consult a pediatric allergy asthma specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pediatric-allergy-asthma-specialist

|