Q. Can Meftal be continued irrespective of fever level in a 5 year old?

Answered by Dr. Nidhin Mohan and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Fever or Cough? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My daughter is 5 years 9 months old. She had a heavy cold and cough last week due to which she got a temperature of 99.8. So I gave her Calpol 250 next day morning similar range so I again continued the medicine and visited the doctor. He said continue fever doses irrespective of whether there is or not for three days post which the same day and next day she had no fever but again suddenly she got 99.5 and till night it went to 102.8 and did not reduce at all till we visited the doctor next day. He asked us to take blood urine reports are prescribed antibiotic Augmentin and continued to Calpol and SOS Meftal syrup as he sighted bacterial infection. Now she is taking antibiotic four doses plus Paracetomol but fever keeps coming back. So, by yesterday night gave her Meftal post which her fever came down. Should I continue Meftal syrup irrespective of fever level along with Calpol and antibiotic as to control the fever levels? I am worried why the fever keeps coming back the same level even though now four doses of antibiotic are completed.