Q. Is it safe to give Meftal-P and Ambrocof-LS to my infant to cure fever and cough?

Dr. Amit Modi

My baby is just 32 days old. He is having some cough and cold symptoms. I had a visit to the local physician and was advised to give him Meftal-P, Cefpodoxime Proxetil suspension IP and Ambrocof-LS drops. Please suggest if these medicines are safe?

Dr. Amit Modi

Child Health Paediatrics
#

• Meftal-P is Mefenamic Acid used as an antipyretic to bring down the fever.
  • While Cefpodoxime is a third generation Cephalosporin antibiotic given for lower respiratory tract infection of bacterial origin.
  • Ambroxol-LS is a cough suppressant preparation used for wet cough.
  • A baby who is 32 days old must be clinically evaluated before giving any medications. No cough suppressants are used in infants. Antibiotics can be used only after confirming the bacterial infection. If there is fever, you can give Meftal-P. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with their consent.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

| 

Can I take Combiflam for fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a fever and cold for the past three days. I am taking Calpol and Combiflam. How can I get cured?  Read Full »

Can antibiotics be given to a 3.5 month old baby for cough?

Query: Hi doctor, My 3.5 month old baby is suffering from slight cold and cough for the past 15 days. The doctor suggested antibiotic syrup 3 ml twice daily. Xpect PD cough syrup 2.5 ml twice daily and Sinarest AF 10 drop twice daily. His weight is 7 kg now. When I am trying to give him cough syrup he is ...  Read Full »

My cough lasted only for a week and the doctor says it is tuberculosis.Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, There is parenchymal infiltrate on the right upper lobe of my lung. My doctor said that I have a ptb3, which looks like a serious stage of tuberculosis. I was shocked because I never had a cough since September. Before the month of September, my cough lasted only for a week and then su...  Read Full »