Q. Is it safe to give Meftal-P and Ambrocof-LS to my infant to cure fever and cough?

Dr. Amit Kumar Modi

My baby is just 32 days old. He is having some cough and cold symptoms. I had a visit to the local physician and was advised to give him Meftal-P, Cefpodoxime Proxetil suspension IP and Ambrocof-LS drops. Please suggest if these medicines are safe?

#

• Meftal-P is Mefenamic Acid used as an antipyretic to bring down the fever.
  • While Cefpodoxime is a third generation Cephalosporin antibiotic given for lower respiratory tract infection of bacterial origin.
  • Ambroxol-LS is a cough suppressant preparation used for wet cough.
  • A baby who is 32 days old must be clinically evaluated before giving any medications. No cough suppressants are used in infants. Antibiotics can be used only after confirming the bacterial infection. If there is fever, you can give Meftal-P. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with their consent.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|