Q. I get recurrent fever for the past two weeks. Can this be a sign of COVID-19 infection?

Dr. Saurabh Pandey

I have a recurring fever for the last two weeks. The highest temperature was 102.9 two weeks back, but it subsided in a day. I took the Dolo tablet as I could not find any doctor near my area. I did not have any symptoms of weakness or body ache. But this fever keeps on coming every four to five days. Today I again got fever with 101.4 F.

#

As you have described your symptoms such as recurring fever, which subsides temporarily on taking medication and comes back again, there could be various reasons associated with it.

Please answer the following questions, which will help me to diagnose you better.

Do you also have chills along with fever? Does fever comes at any specific time like evening or night? Do you have any other symptoms associated with fever (like cough, altered taste or smell)? Have you come in contact with any positive COVID-19 patient knowingly or unknowingly? Do you have any allergies? What is the environmental condition where you live right now?

I do not have a cough. But I get a headache and a little feeling of chills. It is raining here. No altered taste or smell. There are COVID-19 patients in my office who have recovered and joined after 1.5 months of rest and quarantine.

#

Since you are living in a place where the prevalence of the disease is very high, there might be a chance that you may have acquired the infection.

So I would suggest you go for a swab test for COVID-19. It will be better if it is ruled out. Along with that, some other tests need to be done to look for any other pathology.

I am prescribing some medications which you should start now. It will surely improve your condition. Do let me know the results of all the tests.

Swab test for COVID-19 ( RT-PCR). Complete blood count. Liver function test. Renal function test. ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate). Urine routine. Rapid antigen for malaria.

Acute febrile illness. COVID-19. Malaria.

Tablet Cefixime 200 mg BD (after food) for five days, tablet Pan 40 (Pantoprazole) OD (30 minutes before food), Paracetamol 500 mg (SOS), and tablet Limcee (OD).

Send me all the reports of the tests prescribed.
Continue the Medications for five days and let me know the progression.

|