Q. I have a high fever for the past one week and antibiotics did not help. Why?

Dr. Alexander Davis, Md

Over one week high fever , no sleep and vomiting 2 PCR tests done and they are negative and chest xray shows no infection gastro ct is clear. I am in hospital sine 3 nights and currently on Augmentin and Zithromax. But still have high fever. They cannot find out what type of bacteria i have Till today.

My white blood cells little high and RBC is slow and the infection marker is very high.

#

Dear,

I’m sorry to learn about your condition! I read carefully what you sent us and I fear you need some more patience. The antibiotics you get cover a wide range of bacteria, that’s a sign they still don’t know what exactly you are suffering from.

Normally it should now be tested if bacteria are to be found in your blood and other body fluids. These tests may take 3-5 days. If they should return all negative the search has to go on. There are so many viral infections out there that we yet don’t know all and of course fungal infections are also sometimes the cause.

Did they test you for MERS, too? If not, they should. MERS is still out, rarely but in relevant numbers.

So for the moment it seems that your doctors follow the standard protocols, which is good. But ask them which tests they run and ask them to test you for MERS as well as for other rather rare infections.

Get well soon!

| 

Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is now 55 years and has been suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for over a year. Her condition was not so bad before. She was diagnosed with intestinal disease and was given some antibiotics like Flagyl or Metronidazole. After she took those pills for a month, she h...  Read Full »

Would viral infection affect the lymphocyte and neutrophil values?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a viral infection last week. Is it normal to have increased lymphocyte levels of 52 % and decreased neutrophil levels of 35 % after having a viral infection? It got healed within a week. I was fine when I did my blood test. My RBC and WBC are considered to be normal. As I have anemi...  Read Full »

Is diarrhea in a baby due to viral infection?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is 1 year and 10 months old. Two weeks ago, she had severe diarrhea and around her thighs and around her genitals, there was inflammation. The doctor says that because diarrhea is a type of virus and inflammation of the fungus. The doctor prescribed Clotrimazole and burns ointmen...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»