Q. I have fever and leg pain from yesterday with a history of preauricular sinus. Please help.

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

I have fever and leg pain since last night. I had preauricular sinus infection pus drainage three weeks back. I was on different antibiotics for the last 45 days. Taxim O, Centil, Augmentin, and Lizobact 600. I stopped taking them two days back.

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

#

I have gone through your query. As per your query, you have taken multiple antibiotics for a long time which is not good. I need to know whether you have done a culture sensitivity test for the pus draining out of the sinus or not, because if you take antibiotics according to the culture then chances of recurrent sinus infection and fever are very less.

Can you send me the photos of your infected area (preauricular sinus)? Mostly pus discharging sinuses are caused by tuberculosis infection in most of the cases.

In my opinion, you should go for a detailed physical and systemic examination along with some blood tests and chest x-ray. Also, if discharging sinuses is still persisting then you need to do a pus culture sensitivity test both for bacterial culture and Acid fast bacilli (AFB) culture and other advanced tests for tuberculosis.

Now you can take tablet Paracetamol 650 mg whenever you develop a fever. Please do not ignore your problem as it can lead to deterioration of your health. I suggest you to consult a physician and get a detailed physical and systemic examination done and detailed evaluation along with the above tests.

| 

Pus culture was done twice but the report came back negative due to different antibiotics. I consulted an ENT doctor, he only drained the pus via inpatient procedure and gave 15 days Lizobact 600. My ear is fine now. He asked me to stop the medicine from Sunday and I developed a fever since last evening after returning from the office and taking bath.

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

#

If pus culture was done and came to be negative then no need to worry. This fever may not be related to that as your ear is fine now. Some viral infection can also cause fever. Fever of only one day does not require any evaluation.

Take plenty of fluids, fruit juices, and Electral solution. Take rest. In case you develop cough or throat pain then do warm saline gargles three times a day and steam inhalation three times a day for about three to five days.

Take plain Paracetamol 650 mg for fever. Have you undergone evaluation for tuberculosis in the past for the draining sinus? If no and fever persist then I suggest you to consult a physician and go for it.

|