Q. Why does my heart rate increase with fever?

Dr. Eriol Braholli
Published on Jul 06, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 30, 2018

I feel feverish for the last three days. My BP is 88/111 mmHg and heart rate is 87 to 106.

Yesterday, I got fainted after some exercise and brisk walk. I am on Azitromycin, Aviral-H 40, Delip 20 and PCM.

Dr. Eriol Braholli

General Medicine General Surgery Internal Medicine
#

• Since you are feverish, it is expected to have a higher heart rate. Every grade of temperature raises 10 heartbeats more than normal. Blood pressure can be at higher values too.
  • In this case, your body works at full capacity trying to maintain itself and eliminate the illness at the same time, so faint may occur.
  • If you have not suffered from high blood pressure before, then we will accuse the current situation for that. Obviously, you are affected by some infection. Have you seen your primary doctor as you need a physical examination at least?
  • Anyway, I would recommend you to stay home and take bed rests. I advise not to do any physical activity for two to three days.
  • Get your blood pressure monitored regularly and you can use Amlodipine 5 mg sublingual at high values of BP. Have some light diet with plenty of liquids and vitamins.
  • Take antipyretics in case of temperature go above 38,5 degree Celsius. Please continue your current medication.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

How to lower blood pressure? I am a chronic high BP patient and taking Amlodipine and Atenolol

Query: Dear Doctor, I am a chronic High BP patient since 1998. Taking medications Amlodipine 5mg and Atenolol 50mg (AMLO Press-AT). Now the BP reading shows as 160/120. How to lower the blood pressure?  Read Full »

What could be the reason for increased heart rate of my pregnant wife?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 34 weeks pregnant. She has known tachycardia and had an unsuccessful ablation at 11 years old. Around six weeks ago, using pulse oximeter I have at home, I noticed her resting heart rate had dramatically increased. It went from an average of around 100 to around 130 and 140, so...  Read Full »