Q. I was advised to use Finasteride for four weeks before TURP. Is that safe?

Dr. Gajanan Bhat

I will be having prostate TURP surgery in five weeks. My Urologist has recommended daily Finasteride four weeks before to reduce bleeding during the surgery then stop. I am worried that Finasteride has been linked to prostate cancer. Is this true? Is there an alternative medication to reduce blood loss? I know the Finasteride is just for four weeks, but I am still concerned. Is there any research on short term use?

#

Before I begin, let me assure you that there is no evidence that Finasteride causes malignancy when used for short term such as four weeks. As such, both Finasteride and Dutasteride can be used for reducing the vascularity of the prostate. Dutasteride is a good alternative. But Finasteride has better action in reducing vascularity in the short term. In short, let me assure you, there is hardly any chance of malignancy by using either Finasteride or Dutasteride. Do not worry, be positive and wish you a very uneventful and successful recovery, post-surgery.

|