Q. My PSA level is high. Should I get a biopsy?

Dr. Aman Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2020

I am 62 years old. I have severe pain while urinating and having frequent urination at night. My PSA 62.32, prostate 78 g, RUV 142 mL. Should I get a biopsy?

#

• I hope your doctor has examined you physically. If there is a doubt of any tumor on prostate examination, then a biopsy should be done.
  • If there is any history of a recent proven urinary tract infection in the last few days, then PSA (prostate-specific antigen) may be falsely elevated.
  • In this situation, an antibiotic like Levofloxacin 500 once a day is given for two weeks and PSA repeated. If it becomes normal, then a biopsy can be omitted. Otherwise, 12 core TRUS-guided prostate biopsy must be done (transrectal ultrasound guided biopsy).
  • If it is benign, then go for a TURP (transurethral resection of the prostate) or laser prostatectomy as your residual urine is high. Medicines can be tried if your physician feels so.
  • If it comes out to be malignant, then some further tests to ascertain the stage need to be done. It may include bone scan, MRI pelvis or PSMA scan (prostate-specific membrane antigen) and the treatment differs depending on the stage.

For further information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

| 

There is high PSA level but no symptoms. Is biopsy really necessary?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband needs help. He is a 68-year-old male with a high PSA level of 8.65. It has gone from 5.3 to 8.65 in a year. Now, let me give you the facts. We believe at his age, he might have an enlarged prostate, but none of the two doctors he has seen in the past one year has told him s...  Read Full »

Cancer: The Emperor of Maladies

Article Overview: Carcinogenesis is a multi-step process. A plethora of factors are responsible for this process. This article throws light on the basic terminologies frequently used in the field of oncology. It also discusses the steps involved in the genesis of cancer and gives useful tips in preventing and combating this dreaded disease. Read Article

Dr. Alok Vinod Kulkarni
Medical Oncologist

Cancer has been rightly called "The Emperor of Maladies". Hippocrates was the first to use the terms carcinos and carcinoma. In Greek, these words refer to a crab and more often than not, cancer cells have finger-like projections. It is wrongly assumed that cancer is known as the 'crab disease' beca...  Read Article

I have multiple sclerosis. Can I get artificial valve for urinary incontinence?

Query: Hi doctor, I have secondary progressive multiple sclerosis. I am a 37 year old male. My weight is 165 pounds and height is 6 feet. My neurologist is treating my MS with two rounds of Rituximab infusions (low dose chemotherapy) every six months and a twice-daily dose of an Ampyra capsule. I also take...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»