Q. I have flaky skin on the scalp with burning sensation. What medicine should I take?

Dr. Deepti Shukla
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 26, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 11, 2020

I have a skin disease on the scalp. The skin on the head becomes flaky and falling. Occasionally, there is a slight burning sensation at that particular place on the scalp. What kind of medicines should I use?

#

Such flaking on the scalp can be due to seborrheic dermatitis or scalp psoriasis. I need to see this flaking on the scalp to provide you a definitive diagnosis. Please share a photo so I can assess and suggest treatment accordingly.

I will send the photo.

#

I just received your message, but the photo is not attached along with it. Please send the photo.

I have attached the photo.

#

So this is scalp psoriasis. Scalp psoriasis is a common condition causing dandruff on the scalp and mostly, it remains limited to the scalp only.

Now, I will give you one lotion and shampoo. Use Halox-S (Halobetasol propionate and Salicylic acid) lotion, apply only 8-10 drops on the scalp alternate nights for three weeks. Use Protar K (Ketoconazole) shampoo twice in a week.

Follow up in three weeks.

Do not apply Halox-S for more than three weeks without consulting.

doctor , I used the oil and lotion for three weeks as you suggested. flakes on scalp are Completely gone. But there is a slight hair fall while bathing.
# Good
Now continue protar k shampoo once a week and stop halox lotion

Dear hair fall and hair thinning in men can occur due to androgenetic alopecia. As I saw your photos and you have lost hair as I can see gaps, I to take proper history and see your scalp from front and top
First of all please mention your age.
Do you notice your hair line is receeding?
Did you fall sick in last 6 months?
Do you have thyroid disease?
Since when do you have hair fall?

Please revert back with photos and answers, so I cam assess the hair fall issue and suggest you treatment for this

Thanks and regards
Dear doctor , i am 25 years old . i didn't face any thyroid problem till today. i am not sick at last six months except sometimes cough or cold in general. hair line at my forehead doesn't changed . this hair loss is continued along with scalp psoriasis until the shampoo used. After using of shampoo and solution only little much ( aproxly 10-15 hairs in number ) hair is lossing at bathing time only. also suggest any particular food must avoidable for the problem.
# Thank you for sharing photos

yes hair line perfectly fine and from photos it doesn't look like androgenetic alopecia

Temporary hair loss Is associated with scalp psoriasis. Don't contine shampoo once a week and apply halox s lotion once a week only 8-10 drops. APPLY HALOX S ONLY ONCE A WEEK.
for 1 month and then stop it.
Don't worry this hair fall is normal

Take hairbless tablets - one tablet daily after breakfast for 1 month
This is good supplement for hair.

Thanks and regards
doctor can I stop protar k shampoo permanently ?.
if so please suggest any medicated shampoo for regular.
# yes you can use protar k shampoo. it is medicated only. it contains coal tar which is for psoriasis.
Other than that you can use any regular shampoo like hair 4U shampoo and conditioner

|