Q. I have a pus pimple at the area of flap surgery. Please guide me.

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Sep 11, 2017

I am a 35 year old male. I had a root canal treatment done on the lower left side second molar about four to five years back by an endodontist. Two years after the treatment, the ceramic crown came off and was replaced by a metallic crown. Recently, I had a pus pimple under that tooth from the last three to four months, which would appear and then fade away on its own. One periodontist at the same clinic, saw my case and advised a flap surgery and subsequently removed the infection during this process. PRF was also placed during this process. Within 15 days of this surgery, the pus pimple again reappeared. On consulting the periodontist again, he advised that the bone under the teeth is growing as the PRF was placed and the infection is draining out and causing this pus pimple. This would continue for three to four months until the bone grows completely. However I am not convinced with this theory and wish to seek a second opinion to save my tooth. I am attaching the periodontist prescription and a few X-ray images. I request you to please advise what could be the correct route of treatment and help me save my tooth as I do not want to go for an extraction or implant.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

• The infection is due to the improperly done root canal of the mesial root of that tooth. Flap surgery was done needlessly.
  • The treatments possible are:
  1. Frequently, what the dentist would do after such a problem is to extract that tooth.
  2. Go to an Endodontist and request re-RCT of that tooth. He will open the root again and do a root canal treatment. Then, take an X-ray after three months.
  3. The other 50-50 chance is to remove the cap and then surgically remove the mesial root alone, leaving the distal root. Then wait for three months and take an X-ray to check if the area is healed and the bone is formed. Then place a new cap or bridge including the front molar also.

Hope you understood the treatment plan possible.

For more information consult a periodontist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/periodontist

Why do I have pimples on the back of my tongue?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 20 years old. A month ago, I noticed few small pimples at the back of my tongue and I thought that they will get alright on their own. But, they have been there for almost a month.  And, I have halitosis too. I often have a sore throat as well, but it is not severe.  Read Full >>

Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The bumps are enlarged circumvallate papillae, which can be due to a number of causes like oral infections, acid reflux, throat infections, or a post nasal drip. Halitosis or bad breath can occur due to poor oral hygiene, oral and dental infections, post nasal drip, ...  Read Full

I found pimples on my private parts. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I found pimples on my private parts yesterday. But, I do not feel any irritation. Please help.  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please send good quality photographs taken under natural light for further knowledge of your problem.Revert back with photographs to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist  Read Full

Why is there tooth sensitivity even after getting a filling done?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a filling done last week on my distal lateral incisor. It was pretty sensitive for a few days but it dissipated. This morning, after I brushed and flossed, the sensitivity to cold air returned and was getting progressively worse with throbbing and a headache. I took four 200 mg ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern. I think there is a breach or dislodging of filling. You need to visit the dentist again and get a dental X-ray (IOPAR) done. It is reversible pulpitis and you will feel pain and sensitivity. Use fluoridat...  Read Full

Ask a Periodontist Now