Q. Are fever, runny nose, nasal congestion, and dry cough symptoms of flu?

Dr. Sajeev Kumar

My son is 5 years old and has a fever, runny nose, and dry cough. He takes a cough mixture and vaporub. Always he gets nasal congestion and red eyes. I try to keep away from antibiotics because he is always on them and constipated. He was first diagnosed with asthma at one, then last year, we were told it is not just severe sinuses. I am worried beyond words. My son gets the flu almost every month. As a mom, I feel like there is something more to his weak immune system. He eats a healthy diet he takes a multivitamin. Please help.

#

I understand your concern.

Please understand that all children get recurring fever as their immunity is only in the developing stage. The immunity to the infecting bacteria or viruses grows with each infection. Good healthy foods and habits add up immunity. The common people have wrong notions about bacteria and try to avoid giving it. So be it understood that the antibiotics attack only the harmful bacteria and not our body as ignorant people fear. We must eliminate the bacteria, or it can cause severe long-term complications. So please give the proper antibiotics when infected.

Asthma, for your information, is the body's reaction to allergies and infections. He needs bronchodilators and allergy-preventing Montelukast every time he gets asthmatic attacks. If you can identify allergens like dust, flowers, or households, try to avoid exposure to them.

For constipation, give lots of water and include vegetables and fruits in the diet. Also, it is best to check his thyroid profile, as hypothyroidism can lead to constipation and growth difficulties.

I hope you find it helpful.

Kind regards.

|