Q. A puncture wound in foot developed an infection. Are Fluoroquinolones necessary?

I am a 62-year-old male. A puncture wound in the ball of my foot developed an infection. I have had two surgeries to clean the wound out but a localized Mycobacterium fortuitum or peregrinum infection has developed. One of the surgeries was left open to drain. I have been on a course of antibiotics for five days. Sulfamethoxazole-TMP 800-160 two tablets twice daily. Clarithromycin 500 mg once daily, and Levaquin 750 mg once daily. The Levaquin is causing tremors, coordination problems, insomnia, and nightmares when I do finally sleep. My physician is an infectious disease specialist. I have informed them of my symptoms and have been instructed to keep taking the course of Levaquin or I will lose my foot. Are Fluoroquinolones essential to treating this type of infection? I am concerned the drug is causing neurological damage.

#

I went through your post, you have two questions one are quinolones important for treating your infection the answer is yes and these drugs are a cornerstone in treating your infection.

Yes, they cause insomnia in 4 % of patients and tremors. The solution is taken in two doses half morning and half evening that will decrease both tremors and insomnia and there is nervous system damage the side effects are temporary and will go in few weeks time and do not cause any permanent effects.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|