Q. A 20 mm follicle found on day 5 of menses. What does it mean?

Dr. Purushottam Sah

I am a female weighing 65 kg and my height is 5'6". A 20 mm follicle found on day five of menstruation, what does it mean? I had cramp since day four till day six. Last month 5.7 mm hemorrhagic cyst was found on left ovary during day three but this month it got disappeared and now 20 mm follicle found on right ovary. Please help me to understand what exactly is this. Is this normal to find such a large follicle on day five? Actually I would like to get pregnant. Please help.

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Andrology Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology
#

I have read and understood your problem.

Are your periods regular? Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) , prolactin, hemoglobin (Hb), total count (TC), differential count (DC) levels and cancer antigen (CA125) are all normal.

Ultrasound of pelvis suggests follicular cyst which is an unruptured follicle from the previous cycle and will disappear. It means there is a problem with ovulation, follicle is maturing but not rupturing.

• Did you take any infertility medicine?
  • You need to do your blood sugar fasting and testosterone level too and get your husband’s semen analysis.
  • If all these are normal then go for hysterosalpingogram (HSG) x-ray to see the tubes. This you can do after six months of treatment if you are trying for baby only recently.

Revert back with the information to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Thanks doctor,

When I asked my doctor she said you are having pain it means it is getting ruptured and also she said try to maintain relationship with husband often these days. Can follicle rupture? My query is, shall I go for ultrasound again to check the size and status? In this scenario, is pregnancy possible?

Dr. Purushottam Sah

#

• Follicle can rupture on its own or may gradually dry up.
  • No need to check size but if the pain becomes severe then you need to do ultrasound in this cycle, otherwise do it next cycle.
  • Yes, pregnancy is possible under such condition.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|