Q. I have sore throat with feel of something stuck in throat. What could it be?

Dr. Peter Grutas

I am a 36-year-old male. I have a sore throat for two weeks now and I am in my sixth-day of antibiotics (Dalacin C) but it is not going away. I feel that there is something stuck inside my throat/esophagus. I have a mild headache but no fever. Pain scale is ranging 4-6 out of ten. I also gargle every three hours using Difflam - C.

Dr. Peter Grutas

#

I have reviewed your history and it seems on top of the acute tonsillopharyngitis, you also have GERD (gastric esophageal reflux disease). This may explain the persistent throat discomfort in spite of taking the antibiotic for six days. I recommend you continue your current regimen and finish the course of Pantoprazole as prescribed.

For the headache, you may take Ibuprofen as needed on a full stomach. I also recommend that you avoid eating spicy, oily, fatty, dairy foods, and avoid drinking alcoholic, carbonated and caffeinated drinks. If you are a smoker, you should stop smoking and also avoid lying down within one hour after eating. If symptoms persist, worsen, or new onset of symptoms such as difficulty swallowing or voice changes, further consult is advised.

| 

I have severe throat pain. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I feel as though I may have Streptococcus infection or tonsillitis. I have been fine healthwise. All of a sudden this morning I woke up with severe throat pain. I am Type A Streptococcus. When I had Streptococcus infection, my lymph nodes never hurt too much and they were never too swolle...  Read Full »

What is the remedy for sore throat, cough and post nasal drip?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a sore throat, slight cough and post nasal drip. No fever. What can I take?  Read Full »

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full »