Q. I have a big bump and small pimples around the shoulder blade with no fever. Please help.

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

I am having a big bump and small pimples around it on my shoulder blade. I do not know how to describe it. Please have a look at the picture. It is not spreading but slightly painful. Please help.

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

Dermatology Venereology
#

From your brief history and by seeing your attached photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it looks like folliculitis, that is an infection of the hair follicle. I also noticed a lot of black spots scattered on your upper back, are you used to having truncal/ body acne or pimples?

You can follow these medications:

1. Fusidic acid / Mupirocin ointment twice daily after thorough cleaning of the area.

2. Tablet Cefadroxil 500 mg twice daily for five days.

3. Tablet Cetirizine 10 mg once in the night if itching present, take it for five days.

Do warm compresses of the area once or twice daily. Review if associated fever rises or after five days with a photo. These medications should be taken only if there is no prior allergic reactions to it.

Maintain hygiene of the area. Do not itch the area or try to pick it.

Truncal ance.

Herpes zoster. Truncal acne. Insect bite reaction.

Folliculitis.

| 

I am having body acne outbreak frequently. But this is somewhat new which I did not see any time earlier. I am not having a fever and my body temperature is 36.7.

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

Dermatology Venereology
#

If there is no fever, body pain or tiredness associated, it is most certainly a folliculitis. There is no reason for panic. You can follow these medications.

| 

There is no general body pain and tiredness but when I wake up my body feels heavy. Also, in underarm also there are some same eruptions. Please have a look at the picture.

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

Dermatology Venereology
#

These underarm lesions look more of an insect bite reaction (attachment removed to protect patient identity). However, you can apply the same ointment and take antibiotics.

If you develop a fever, then we can also think of chickenpox provided you have not got it earlier. But as long as no systemic symptoms are present, there is no need to worry. If there is pain, you can also take Paracetamol 500 mg once or twice daily.

|