Q. Why does my skin of collarbone constantly reacts and breaks out?

Dr. Shanza Ikram

I have this issue on my collarbone where my skin constantly reacts and breaks out since high school. I would wear crew neck shirts to cover it. More recently I have controlled breakouts with a salicylic acid skin wash but it is more than breakout prone skin. I also cannot wear necklaces because they create a weird rash. I never have a reaction to any other part of my body. There is also something odd about the pores in that area of skin. They are always raised and stretched looking. I went to see a doctor in high school and she basically shamed me and said I was not cleaning the area properly. I am religious about cleaning it, and nothing works.

#

I have gone through your case. Well, there is nothing to be ashamed of and your problem has nothing to do with cleanliness. I do not know why your doctor has said so. Anyways be patient. You are having two problems. Contact dermatitis which is a type of allergy caused by something irritant comes into contact with your skin like your necklace. Many artificial jewelries have nickel which irritates skin. So best treatment is avoidance. I know it is difficult. The second treatment is steroid like when you have a rash just apply one percent Hydrocortisone two times a day only for 3 to 5 days. But remember you are also having truncal acne which will get aggravated when steroids are used. So, please use above prescribed steroid when you have a rash.

For acneform rash salicylic acid is good or apply Clindamycin gel two times a day on pimple like lesions. Remember truncal acne is hard to treat and often get exacerbation due to stress or periods.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|