Q. Why does my skin of collarbone constantly reacts and breaks out?

Dr. Shanza Ikram
Published on Jun 25, 2018

I have this issue on my collarbone where my skin constantly reacts and breaks out since high school. I would wear crew neck shirts to cover it. More recently I have controlled breakouts with a salicylic acid skin wash but it is more than breakout prone skin. I also cannot wear necklaces because they create a weird rash. I never have a reaction to any other part of my body. There is also something odd about the pores in that area of skin. They are always raised and stretched looking. I went to see a doctor in high school and she basically shamed me and said I was not cleaning the area properly. I am religious about cleaning it, and nothing works.

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Dermatology
#

I have gone through your case. Well, there is nothing to be ashamed of and your problem has nothing to do with cleanliness. I do not know why your doctor has said so. Anyways be patient. You are having two problems. Contact dermatitis which is a type of allergy caused by something irritant comes into contact with your skin like your necklace. Many artificial jewelries have nickel which irritates skin. So best treatment is avoidance. I know it is difficult. The second treatment is steroid like when you have a rash just apply one percent Hydrocortisone two times a day only for 3 to 5 days. But remember you are also having truncal acne which will get aggravated when steroids are used. So, please use above prescribed steroid when you have a rash.

For acneform rash salicylic acid is good or apply Clindamycin gel two times a day on pimple like lesions. Remember truncal acne is hard to treat and often get exacerbation due to stress or periods.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Please suggest a cure for my skin rashes based on the report.

Query: Hi doctor, I have rashes similar to the rash of SLE, swollen, painful and redness around the eyes, severe fatigue and muscle weakness. These symptoms occurred a few months back after I had an intestinal infection. The doctors suspected it to be dermatolysis too, thus having a skin biopsy done tomorr...  Read Full »

What can cause upper eyelid swelling?

Query: Hi doctor, I noticed that the upper lid of my eye is swollen. It does not have the signs of inflammation but rather the lid is being like edematous. It is itchy in the night. Can it be normal again? What is it and what should I do?  Read Full »