Q. Is the pimple on my upper left shoulder area serious?

Dr. Dilip Meena

I have a pimple on my upper left shoulder area since yesterday. I pricked it a little, and now it is red. I never had pimple in this area before. I am under medication for high blood pressure, and I am taking Rybelsus for diabetes. The A1c level was 5.3 mg/dL in the last test. So it is under control. I am attaching the photos here. I just need reassurance that it is not serious. Kindly help.

Thanks.

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern.

I went through the photographs attached (attchments removed to protect the patient's identity). It looks like a common bacterial infection of hair follicles known as folliculitis. It will heal with or without antibiotics in a few days. But if it is painful and increasing in size, I suggest you take the following medications for five days,

1. Tablet Cefadroxil 500 mg twice a day.

2. Tab Paracetamol 500 mg SOS (if necessary).

There is nothing to worry about. It is a common infection and will get better soon. Diabetic patients are more prone to skin infections.

Thanks for the reply.

Should I wait for a few days for it to subside on its own? In case if it does not reduce, can I consult my doctor for antibiotics?

Thanks.

#

If it is more painful or if it is increasing in size, then it should subside soon. If there is no change, I suggest you consult a dermatologist for the same.

|