Q. What can cause itchy scalp and tiny white balls all over the head?

Dr. Avina Jain
Published on Jul 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 13, 2019

I am a 28 year old male. I have itchy scalp and hair fall with tiny white ball all over the head and also in shoulder. The balls are attached to the skin and coming out in nails with pressure. I have attached the photos along with this query. I am using anti-dandruff shampoo, which cures the itch for one or two days. But, the white balls are still coming out. I am facing this problem over a year. Now, my hair fall has seriously increased. I have oily skin. Advice me some medicine which is easily available and some technique to care my hair.

Dr. Avina Jain

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

According to your history and from the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you are suffering from acute dandruff with folliculitis.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Hi doctor, Thanks for your reply. Could you please tell me the solution?

Dr. Avina Jain

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

• Do you have thyroid disease? Or got it checked anytime?
  • You need oral antibiotic for sometime. I hope you can get them without prescription.

The white balls are pustules, occurring due to scratching and then infection.

Seborrhea capitis with folliculitis.

1. Take tablet DOXT-S Doxycycline 100 mg one tablet every day for two weeks with one full glass of water.
2. Salisia-KT shampoo (combination of Salicylic acid and Ketoconazole) every alternate day for scalp. Keep lather for 5 minutes and then wash. After two weeks, when dandruff comes under control decrease it to twice a week and then once a week.

1. Avoid scratching with nail.
2. Avoid oiling the scalp. If needed, then only for an hour and then wash it off.
3. You can use other shampoo if needed on other days.
4. You should increase your fruit, protein and vegetable intake.

Revert back after two weeks for follow up to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Can Doxycycline cause bald spots on scalp?

Query: Hello doctor, I was taking Doxycycline for three months. After I got a haircut in third month, I noticed that I had two bald patches (it is not actually bald, they were just super thin with a little bit of hair). I got a haircut again today, and the same problem occurred. I am almost positive that ...  Read Full »

Is my hair fall due to shampooing daily and dandruff?

Query: Hello doctor,I have had a dandruff problem for very long. So, I started shampooing my hair every day. Even then skipping even a single day of shampooing leaves my hair full of dirt and makes it completely oily. And an itchy scalp is always there no matter what I do. I have started losing a lot of ha...  Read Full »

Which shampoo is best for dandruff?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having problem of acute flaky dandruff and also itching in my hair. I have tried Topisal, Nizral and various other shampoos as well. However, there is no respite from dandruff. Please suggest me some good mediation as well as shampoo and oil. Currently I am under sugar and BP medica...  Read Full »