Q. Can you advise regarding food for a 6 months old?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 02, 2020

My baby is 6 months old. I am a working mother and joining office soon. As a new mom, I am not sure about a healthy food and diet plan to be given to my baby at and after 6 months. Can you advise what all food can be given to a baby initially? Currently, she is having formula milk.

#

• Weaning with homemade mashed food should be started after 6 months of age.
  • You can give the child mashed potatoes and other kinds of mashed fruits for at least four times a day along with mashed biscuits or other mashed snacks twice a day and breast milk.
  • Please note that breast milk should be continued till the child is 2 years of age. Also, avoid hard foodstuffs like almonds and nuts (even after grinding) till two years of age as these foods may get stuck in the windpipe as the windpipe is very narrow in small children.
  • Also, avoid giving bottle feeding with nipple as this is the most common means of getting an infection in small children. Feed milk with a spoon or you can breastfeed.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|