Q. My 18 month old eats very less. Should I give him an appetite booster?

Dr. Simy Mathew
Published on Feb 16, 2018

My 18 month old son is very choosy and eats very less. He eats everything one day and almost nothing another day. I am worried about his health. He frequently gets cold and congestion too. What can I do? Can I give him any appetite booster? What is the best food for him?

Dr. Simy Mathew

Paediatrics
#

This is a common concern that every mother has. Kids are fussy eaters and we should inculcate good food habits in them. Try giving different food items to him on different days, keep changing, and experimenting with food - this might help him eat something. Never try feeding the same item to your child.

1. Try food rewarding system - like play time after meals or some park time after meals.
  2. Try engaging your child in the kitchen along with you. Once they see things getting cooked and made, they will develop an interest to eat.
  3. Do not feed children at a separate time - make him sit along with the other family members at the dining table and have his meal. It will help him eat more.

Kids are bound to get infections - at least one in a month. It can be from other kids in playschool or park. They will develop immunity once they cross 5 years of age and infection will be less thereafter. Hope this has been of help.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Why has the infant not defecated for a few days?

Query: Hello doctor, My 45-day-old nephew has not defecated for the last two days. Today is the third day. He is taking his feeds well and having a sound sleep. His urine output is good. Also, he is leaving gas as usual. Kindly help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is one of the common complaints received. It is absolutely normal for an infant to pass stool once in a week or 20 times a day in whatever consistency. As long as the baby is active, is feeding well and is passing adequate urine there is nothing to worry. Con...  Read Full

How to control loose motions in a 1 month old baby?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 1 month old boy baby, his mother died during the delivery. We feed him cow's milk, but he is having loose motions. How to control the loose motions?  Read Full >>

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is so sad to hear about his mom. First, we need to clarify whether he has diarrhea, because sometimes, increased frequency of stools due to gastrocolic reflex may be considered as diarrhea. If he has diarrhea, then we need to look at the causes, for example, infecti...  Read Full

What is the proper diet chart for a 6-month-old baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My infant is turning 6 months this month and we are moving to a different place. I am looking for a complete diet chart for an infant. Can you please help me get a diet chart and how to make the baby food for my baby, please? Also, can we preserve food in the freezer? My son's current...  Read Full >>

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Continue breastfeeding till 1 year of age minimum. Can be extended till 2 years of age as per WHO. Start liquid diet (home-made) initially for one month. Rice water, dal water. Give semiliquid diet 8 to 9 months onwards, semi-solid diet 9 ...  Read Full