Q. My son is 6 months old and is exclusively breastfed. What food can I give him?

Dr. Swati Pandey

I have a 5-month-old baby boy. I feed him mother's milk only till now. By next month I need to join my job. So this month I want to start other foods. Which food can I give to him?

Dr. Swati Pandey

Paediatrics
#

As your baby reached five months, great that you only gave exclusive breastfeed. Now once he approaches six months you can start giving weaning diet. All homemade stuff along with breastfeeding until 2-year of age.

It is always better to introduce baby with rice potato first as they are gluten-free and gradually built-up to multi cereal diet like grilled thick dal, mashed banana, mashed dal, mashed roti, bread, biscuit mixed in sweetened undiluted milk, cheeku, mango, and papaya as snacks.

Basically our aim is to give small energy dense feeds at frequent intervals. You can add ghee or oil to make it more energy dense. Until 6-12 months keep frequency three to four times at least per day if breastfed.

Always make the baby sit on your lap and then feed and maintain all the hygiene and clean your hands before preparing food and while feeding. Avoid all packed food.

| 

Benefits of Breastfeeding and a Few Tips to New Mothers

Article Overview: There are so many misconceptions about breastfeeding, so here are some tips for the new mothers.  Read Article

Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar
Lactation Counselor

Breastfeeding is the most beautiful thing for the mother and the baby in humans, just as for all mammals. There are so many misconceptions about breastfeeding and always a new mother will be in a confused state regarding breastfeeding. Here are some tips for the new mothers. When Should One St...  Read Article

What foods can my 6-month-old baby eat?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby has turned 6 months today. For the last 20 days, I have been giving her ragi and half a banana. Now that she is 6 months old, what cereals, vegetables, and fruits can I give her? Can I give her rice? Can I give her ghee and curd?  Read Full »

Can taking Eptoin while breastfeeding affect the baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is taking Eptoin 100 thrice in a day. Just 13 days back she delivered a baby girl. Should I be worried about this when she is feeding the baby?  Read Full »